Feb 27, 2008

Clarity



"Religion is the masterpiece of the art of animal
training, for it trains people as to how they shall think." -- Arthur
Schopenhauer

"Religion is based mainly upon fear fear of the
mysterious, fear of defeat, fear of death. Fear is the parent of cruelty, and
therefore it is no wonder if cruelty and religion have gone hand in hand . . . .
My own view on religion is that of Lucretius. I regard it as a disease born of
fear and as a source of untold misery to the human race." -- Bertrand
Russell

"I cannot believe in a God who wants to be praised all
the time." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

"Do not believe in anything simply because you
have
heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and
rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written
in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of
your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been
handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you
find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit
of one and all, then accept it and live up to it." --
Buddha


I bow down to the idea of this great man. This quote of him really proves that he knows his stand in life and he knows how to think without looking for evidences. He mentioned "religious books" and "teachers".


I remembered when our teacher in Christian Life asked us to make a synthesis paper answering the question "What does it mean to be a Christian"


The question really seemed to be abstract to me. I thought that they want me to answer based on Christian morality, based on what they have thought us all the years. He said a "tip" to us to be able to accomplish the 4 page essay -- his tip was: remember your lessons since you were in grade one.

Grade one. So that means they expect answers to be by the book? By the things they have taught us? Just because this is Christian Life, I don't think they can mess with my beliefs. They have taught me to believe this and that. I never asked why nor questioned it when I was in grade one. You know what I did? I memorized everything. Why? because every body else is memorizing it. I follow them because that is what they told me and if I do not, I would have not aquired an honor because of a failing mark in Christian Life.

I became indifferent when I was in first year.
I never did have my own opinions back then. I feel that I am empty and I only do things teachers told me to. However things have changed. As I realized that there are complex things or things that seems to be absurd, I began to wonder why -- but there wasn't any answer but "because as Christians..."

Teachers themselves, teach by the book. Our teacher in Christian Life now? He sticks himself on what his lesson plan says, on what his guides says. If the guide says that Euthanasia is different from allowing the person to die -- he will say it is different. Euthanasia = mercy killing, they thought us that "Euthanatsia... with the purpose of eliminating all suffering...Since it is an act that is diretly contrary to the dignity of the human person, euthanasia is a violation of the 5th commandment(thou shall not kill)". Allowing the person to die in the other hand, they explained it as "discontinuing medical procedures that are burdensome, dangerous or disproportionate to the expected outcome." If they find Euthanasia bad as it violates 5th commandment, and allowing the person to die reasonable and not a sin, then why not just call it "allowing the person to die" when we remove the oxygen of a comatose old lady? Why not right? If it is the only way we would not commit sin. Why not?

I remained silent at times when they ask why or at times where I can't really answer anything because I do not know how to answer. In any case, they cannot force me to answer or else all they will hear are things pleasing to their ears -- in short, lies.

Well thanks to this quote -- my mind was settled. I am settled that everything that I believe should come from things that I experience -- because my experiences would be my own teacher. Well I thank this whole Christian Life -- it taught me to find my own answers and clarity of mind.

-----------------------------

I have accepted that I am slow in reasoning, but as one always talks about it, and once I am triggered to find out more about it, I will be able to find my stand. I am still young and I know I will be able to make my stand more stronger as I experience life :D

Perhaps there are a lot of people just like me out there. People who are flawed of agreeing without thinking just because someone seemed to be reasonable at one point. I think being indifferent is better than making rush decisions, which ends up to be lies.

5 comments:

FerBert said...

oh wow! epistaxis! omg! internal bleeding! doc doc doc! i need a doctor.. lol

L y z a said...

ano? labo mo. harhar.

Black Antipara said...

There is nothing wrong to be different in regards to belief. We're not in this world to pacify other's ego. What we do and think is manifestation of our own god. Sabi nga ng friend ko "I can be a good person with or without god"

"Life is matter of choice, it is not where you stand, but the direction you are going in"ZKEY

Anonymous said...

lam mo ba may nabasa ako ung 3 levels of morality, yung

1st level : yung takot kang pagalitan sa mga mali mo tas tinatakasan mo

2nd level : dito magsstart maging good girl, yun bang nakikinig ka sa CL lectures tas gagawin mo yung mga sinasabi sa 'yo pero di mo talaga alam yung deep meaning behind that kung bat mo ginagawa (karamihan ng tao andito sa level na 'to)

3rd level : di mo na kailangan nung mga lecture na 'yun dahil sa sarili mo naiintindihan mo na kung bakit mali o tama ang isang bagay at marunong ka na mag reason out.

yung sinasabi ni buddha, para siguro ma lead ka sa 3rd level na yun. napansin ko rin naman na kung gusto mo maging good person, sa huli pare pareho naman sila, parang nawawala yung pagka materialistic, mas mataas pasensya sa ibang tao etc.

(PS.
kaya nga idol ko si Buddha eh hahahaha. gusto mo hiramin libro ko?)

L y z a said...

kauste :: mas maganda name mo na kauste kesa ZKEy. okay anyway, totoo sinabi ng kaibigan mo at tama rin mga sinabi mo. magkakasundo tayo!

janelle :: wow galing a. siguro -- handa pa kong makinig ng mga lectures ng CL or theo or kung ano pa man... susuriin ko at titingnan ko kung may kabuluhan, kung wala -- hahanapin ko sarili kong papaniwalaan. book ni budda? hmm... may book pa kong binabasa weit ka lang ahaha magkakainteres din siguro ako dyan